martes, 24 de mayo de 2011

The journey of a great life and a wonderful man

There are so many things I feel like writing about, but first things first. Just like in any book, this blog has a dedicatory. They say it is bad luck to have a book (in this case, a blog) without someone to dedicate it to, just as it is bad luck to have a boat and not name it. Well, my blog is completely dedicated to an amazing, outstanding and wonderful man who sadly had to leave this world and be with Jesus (or reincarnate, turn into dust and so on, depending on your beliefs). He was by far one of the most dedicated, caring, loving men I ever knew, and I’m not just saying that because he’s my father, but he was a true definition of what a great man meant. I could write forever about him, and it is such a shame that he never got the chance to read all the stuff I’d write. I’m sure he would have loved every word of it. He always had high hopes for me, (works out since I am the eldest of three, and the only girl, and by far the cleverest hehe, btw, my brothers will hate me for this), I even remember when I was about 13 or 14, he would always joke about me becoming a writer, and he even offered to pay me £5 per every chapter I wrote, of supposedly, the book of our lives (my family’s life). I always thought he was pulling my leg, but once I wrote a mere chapter, he actually paid up! It wasn’t that good a chapter, but it was back then when I knew he was for real. I’m not only dedicating this to him because he loved reading about my stories, but also as an honour and great privilege it meant to be his daughter. My dad was one of them dads who never ever used to hug, or show affection; however his eyes were like gates to pure, down to earth feelings. He was an extraordinarily strong person, on the inside and outside; even though he was very small (he was roughly 5 ft 4). His biggest challenge was overcoming cancer, and he fought the disease with such integrity, strength and hope, and all the way up to the last minute he never gave up. Even during the darkest hours of his illness, during the last breaths he took, when I placed my head against his tiny chest (after losing over 30 pounds) I was simply overwhelmed by the great strength and character he portrayed. A very close friend of ours, in his memorial service stated that he was a real motivation to life, every single step along the way of the illness, he never let his guard down; he was the definition of endurance, perseverance and faith.
My father had such grand wisdom and knowledge, I don’t think I’ve ever met someone as smart and intelligent as him (well, except for my mum, but she’s a whole different, but also fun character). Besides his growing thirst for knowledge which always used to surprise me, he was one of them guys who had the answers to everything. I remember when I was a small girl, he just had a solution to absolutely every problem, and even when I grew up, he was still amazing me with all this creativity and imagination and great ability to solve problems and answer any kind of question. He wasn’t just smart in his field (I haven’t mentioned that he had a PhD on Ecotourism and a bunch of other degrees concerning tourism and related topics, on Mexican economy, and so on, he published many books and articles too), he was also street smart. And smart wasn’t the only thing that was great about him. My dad had the most amazing sense of humour. I remember there was never a dull moment when I hung out with my dad, and along his sense of humour came his humongous heart and charisma. I tell you, I could write so much about my dad, but I think it is enough for now, I will definitely write more about him further on, but this was just a quick review of his life. It goes without saying how much he meant to me and my whole family. We all miss him dearly but I think I miss him in a cool particular way, as he never had another daughter and I’ll never have another dad. Our love was one of a kind in a way; I always thought we had a special bond, and I miss that like hell, but life keeps on going. One last thing, this isn’t like a memorial blog, in remembrance of my father and so on, I merely wish to dedicate it to him. As the pastor said during his memorial service, we are not mourning a dead person, but instead celebrating the life and journey of a great man.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario